May 8, 2015

Transit travel and ESTA

Transit travel and ESTA

Travellers are considered to be ‘in transit’ when their travel destination is a third country that is not the United States

Do I need to apply for an ESTA Visa if I will only be in transit though United States, en route to another country?

Yes, citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Programme require travel authorisation to transit through the United States. If a traveller is only planning to transit through the United States en route to another country, when he or she completes the travel authorisation application in ESTA, the traveller should declare that he or she will be ‘in transit’, and his or her final destination location.

If you visit the Bermudas, Canada or Mexico during your stay in the United States. It is a common practice that before the 90 days that are granted by an ESTA permit are over, foreign nationals whose permit is about to expire travel briefly to Bermudas, Mexico, or Canada to request another travel permit for the United States that would grant them an additional 90 days. While entry is granted on many occasions, you must be aware that the migration officer processing your request may deny your entry to the United States, arguing that you are violating the spirit of migratory law. If you find yourself in similar circumstances whereby you need to extend your stay in the United States, we recommend you request a United States visa at the United States embassy of the country where you are, in order to avoid facing the aforementioned situation.